At the offices of Dr. Gail McLaurin, DMD, we are proud to offer laser dentistry with FDA approved state-of-the-art laser technology. Laser dentistry has proven to be extremely effective for many different periodontal/gum procedures without the drawbacks of conventional and more invasive surgical treatments. Since there is no incision (scalpel) and no stitches (suture) you can quickly return to your normal routine. Laser Periodontal Therapy has done for gum disease and other periodontal procedures in dentistry what Lasik has done for eye surgery.
Dr. McLaurin was one of the first Periodontists to be certified and incorporate the periolase laser system in periodontal dentistry.
What are the benefits of using dental lasers?
There are several advantages of laser procedures. A Dentist may not need to use a drill or administer anesthesia, allowing the patient to enjoy a more relaxed dental experience. Laser procedures often are more precise; reduce symptoms and healing times associated with traditional therapies. In addition, they also reduce the amount of bacteria in both diseased gum tissue and in tooth cavities. Laser therapies also control bleeding during surgery. Therefore, controlled bleeding is especially important for those who have blood aliments or are taking certain medications that cause blood thinning.
LASER: For soft tissue procedures, Laser Therapy often eliminates the need for suturing and healing as it is much faster due to wound sterilization and the atraumatic effect of the laser on surrounding tissues. We also use lasers to diagnose cavities. The Diagnodent machine uses laser fluorescence to find hidden decay in teeth at the earliest stages. As a result, small lesions are found much sooner than if traditional instrument methods are used, allowing for much less invasive fillings. At times, decay can also be identified so early that it can be reversed through hygiene, diet, and fluoride measures such that it may never need a filling.
Laser Therapy in Practices
A number of procedures can be performed including:
- All classes of dental fillings. It’s only limitation is that it can not remove old silver amalgam.
- Laser periodontal surgery: no scalpels, sutures, or post operative pain
- NightLase snoring and sleep apnea treatment
- SmoothLase treatment for smoothing of wrinkles around the mouth and nasal area
- Smile improvements, i.e. gum sculpting that lengthens teeth due to oversized gingiva
- Gingivectomy, gingivoplasty, crown lengthening, and other gum corrections
- Root canals using the innovative PIPS procedure (Photon Induced Photoacoustic Streaming)
- Removal of oral lesions such as fibromas or pappilomas, usually with topical anesthesia only
- Excisional and incisional biopsies
- Frenectomy (“tongue-tie” release, orthodontic or periodontal indications) with minimal anesthesia and no sutures
- Pediatric procedures. The lack of needles or drills is a huge plus for kids.
- Cold sore treatments
- Apthous Ulcer (“canker sore” ) treatments
- Treatment of minor mouth and gum irritations
- Often no drill or needle for fillings
- No needle for many soft tissue procedures
- Increased bond strength for fillings
- Reduced post op sensitivity with fillings
- Thorough disinfection of tooth prior to filling placement
- Treat kids with no needle or drill
- More rapid healing and reduced pain after soft tissue procedures
- Drug free cold sore and apthous ulcer treatments with immediate pain relief and healing within two to three days
- Excellent adjunct to crown and bridge work for improved gingival health and more accurate impression